16 Mar 04
i may as well post this, very belatedly:
on saturday night robin and i went to this term’s queen’s players show (courtesy of sofi’s connections). it may have been the most balanced players show i’ve been to yet – very funny (and dirty, shockingly) with a cast that could actually sing. highlights included: its characterizations of GW writers, a cameo by iagreewithjamie, telling the campus crusade to “take a pilgrimmage right up my ass!”, the very drunk and british mother of one of the cast members (who was informed at the end by another cast member that he would likely be her son in law someday), and pretty much everything jack and meg white did. the guy playing jack white also gets bonus points for wearing a unitard during his darkness song. anyway, there were probably many other funny moments that i just don’t remember…for some reason.
having said all this, i do have a complaint: there were rows and rows of empty chairs in clark, which is unheard of for a players show – especially one that was “sold out” like this one. in other words, more of my friends could have come along, but poor organization ruled this out. nicely done.
12 Mar 04
are you looking for a way to display your most recently played song(s) on your blog, but figure that it’s hopeless because you’re using itunes for windows? well look no further! robin’s written an app that monitors changes in itunes’ most recently played song playlist, and when it sees a change it uploads a file to your webserver containing artist, title, song, etc. pas mal.
10 Mar 04
a couple months ago i heard that the salteens and sekiden were playing a showcase at cmw. for those of you who aren’t aware, those two bands put on one of the best shows of last year at the scherzo in the summer. by chance i discovered that they were also playing a sunday matinee at the same club, so robin and kristi and i headed to toronto on sunday to meet sofi (who was saving us a spot in the pretty much empty club).
to summarize the day:
- 6 hours of driving
- 3 really awful opening bands (billy and the lost boys, dead letter department and hostage life. at least billy is a pretty solid guitar player…i suspect she will go on to do bigger and better things once she loses her generapunk band.)
- 3.5 hours of waiting for the bands we wanted to see
- 1 hour of really great music
whose idea was it to have a lineup of 3 highschoolish punk bands alongside 2 poppy bands? anyway, both sekiden and the salteens played about a 35 minute set, but i enjoyed each immensely. both bands are super fun and incredibly nice, so the 6 hours in the car were more than worth it. and i picked up sekiden’s junior fiction – so good!
08 Mar 04
i’ve tried to write this blog entry twice now, only to be foiled by my laptop. it’s having spontaneous turning off issues these days.
anyway, friday night was the andy stochansky show at the grad club (where else?). i was looking forward to it quite a bit since i missed last year’s performance when i was in new york. andy and his band were solid and played more old songs than new which was nice. as usual though, this “review” is going to focus more on the idiots i encountered at the grad club. seriously, what is it about that venue that attracts the most obnoxious people ever? anyway, here’s some stupidity for your perusal:
- ok. i’ll start with brendan. i did my undergrad with this guy, and i even sat in classes with him quite often. what happened to him? the first time i saw him that evening you were air guitaring to barlowe (the opening act), and from there it only got worse – pseudo dancing, stages-esque grinding and groping with his girlfriend, near falling on the ground. i understand that he’s a teacher in the real world now, and that that may have been his first night out in a long time…but no, there’s no excuse.
- brendan was overshadowed nicely by the incredibly drunk fan who positioned himself directly in front of andy, possibly a foot or two away. i should’ve expected the worst when i noticed the cigarette behind his ear. he spent his evening yelling “ANNNNNNDY STOCHANNNNNNSKY” at the top of his lungs, as well as making siren noises and trying to carry on a dialog with the
band between songs. i think his low point was during 22 steps (a quiet number with just andy and his guitar) during which he sang along so loudly that it drowned out andy. he found it funny at first but was clearly annoyed. this
“fan” was eventually escorted out, and was referred to by andy at the end as “the really drunk guy in the front row who really got my adrenaline going”. it was embarassing and funny and awful all at once.
- the blonde directly in front of us was very proficient at doing the elaine dance. she also was adept at spilling her beer, repeatedly tying her hair in a ponytail with strands of hair, only to have it fall out two seconds later. and the two fingered deafening whistle HAS to stop!
- the girl who used to work at the grad club who i thought was a pretty good dancer (although it might’ve just been in relationship to elaine)…but anne pointed out that she kept doing the xena warrior princess call. argh!
there were others but that’s enough.
anyway, that’s a long enough post for one night. stay tuned for details of sunday’s salteens/sekiden extravaganza!
05 Mar 04
finally, this is exactly what i’ve been waiting for:
anyone wanna be on my team? i’m having trouble envisioning the events… also: does anyone else think that one line in particular sounds a bit…dirty?
02 Mar 04
i finally got around to posting our photos from winterlude last weekend, as promised. it was a good day, and i’m glad we went when we did since it’s currently 7C in kingston. oh, winter.